Lunenburg, Nova Scotia

The Story of Camp Norway

The Story of Camp Norway

The shooting phase of the Second World War started on the 1st of September, 1939, with the German invasion of Poland. Britain declared war on Germany on September 3rd and Canada followed suit on September 9th. The fall and winter of 1939/40 was the period of the so-called phoney war when there was not much happening on the ground in Europe. However, in the spring of 1940 it was a different story. The Germans invaded and occupied Denmark and Norway, overran the Netherlands and Belgium, drove the British from the continent at Dunkirk and defeated France. For our purposes, the key date is April 9th 1940, the day the Germans invaded Denmark and Norway. Denmark was quickly overrun and occupied but that was not the case in Norway.read more

Official Opening of Camp Norway

Official opening of Camp Norway

The camp, called Camp Norway, was officially opened on Friday, Nov 29th, 1940, and consisted of a barracks to house about 800 men located on a two-acre site on the south side of the town. Later, a mess hall, two storage buildings, a garage and a carpentry shop were added. The original buildings still exist and are owned and occupied by ABCO Industries and the metal sign over the main gate still proclaims it to be Camp Norway. The camp was primarily a Royal Norwegian Navy training depot for seamen and whalers who were being taken into the navy. Norway has compulsory military service for so most of these men had been through basic training and were listed as reservists.read more

Kenneth Paulsen, Ph.D., Publications List

‘Settlement and Ethnicity in Lunenburg, Nova Scotia, 1753-1800: A History of the Foreign-Protestant Community.’ Doctoral Dissertation, University of Maine, 1996.  Unpublished manuscript is located at the New England Historic Genealogical Society.

‘New Light or No Light: The Religious Experience in Lunenburg, 1753-1790.’ In The Nova Scotia Planters in the Atlantic World, 1759-1830, edited by Stephen Henderson and Wendy G. Robicheau.  Fredericton, N.B.: Acadiensis Press, 2012.

The Church Map 1864-83

This map of Lunenburg was produced by the A.F. Church Co. of Bedford, N.S. and appears as a large-scale inset on a Topographical Township Map of Lunen­burg County. The map shows streets and buildings and identifies each building with a name. The title block on the map states that it was "entered according to law on the 24th March, A.D. 1864" and indeed, it is often referred to as the "1864 Church Map". However, there is reason to doubt the correctness of this date. Sources at P.A.N.S.

Local Research And Bibliographic Sources

The following documents and sources were consulted in the course of research for the Heritage Resource Study.

Registry of Deeds

Pages